Friday, September 5, 2008

The Three R's and The Civil Rights Movement

I chose to read the Civility and Civil Rights text after I rode the bus through Greensboro. The reading did not really affect my perception of the bus ride, although I enjoyed both. The bus ride was better than I thought it would be. I was able to ride the bus on Thursday, which gave me an opportunity to benefit from other classmates advice, such as to have your student ID ready or the bus driver will yell at you. While on the bus we sat across from one lady who had a particular interest in sharing a complaint she had about the public transportation system with the bus driver. I loved seeing the passion that she had about the matter, just like the four college boys that started the Woolworth sit-ins. She spoke of going to a council meeting to voice her opinion as well, and the bus driver was extremely supportive of her efforts, saying that it was important for the public to voice their opinions about it.
The reading for me was just as inspiring. Although I had heard the story of the Greensboro sit-ins, I had not heard it since I’ve lived in Greensboro. For me, this gave me a completely new perspective of the story. Knowing where the Woolworth building is in downtown Greensboro really helped me relate to the situation. It scares me that this happened only 48 years ago. The story of the boys staying seated despite harassment from the store as well as spectators, and choosing to stand up for what they believe is the right thing; that is something that I would love to be able to do myself and I respect them for having that courage. After that first day, the boys continued to come back to the Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age

No comments:

Post a Comment