Sunday, December 2, 2007

E. Fay Jones

The Thorncrown Chapel
The Mildred B. Cooper Chapel

E. Fay Jones work was highly influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright as he was his apprentice. Both of these chapels are very much among nature and reflect the surrounding trees with wooden cut-outs. I love the way these building appear open and let in a lot of natural light, which I would assume would give the chapels a very "holy" feeling. Jones also seems to enjoy repeating patterns with the geometric crosses in the Thorncrown Chapel and then the arches in the Mildred B. Cooper Chapel. These buildings almost seem a part of the surrounding wooded area, as if they've always been there. Both chapels are popular wedding sites and I can see why. I would consider these locations if I lived in Arkansas....and if I were getting married.

No comments:

Post a Comment